Marketing or Sales

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marketing or Sales

We are a small technology company and we are considering hiring a sales rep rather than having the two founders of the company doing the work. The problem that we are having is whether or not to take those dollars and invest them into marketing versus a sales person - any thoughts? Have you had similar situations?

Re: Marketing or Sales

Pay the sales person on commission only. Give them a draw to float them through the month around the 15th of the month and pay them the commission earned less the draw around the 30th of the month. This way you your paying sales person on only what they produce. Your not losing anything. As long as your product/service is good you shouldn't have a problem finding a sales person that is up to the challange. (You would be suprised how many sales people work this way)
    Before starting my own business I was a sales person that made 15% commission off everything I sold. The sales person and the company make a lot of money this way.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by ponyboy1995 View Post
      Pay the sales person on commission only. Give them a draw to float them through the month around the 15th of the month and pay them the commission earned less the draw around the 30th of the month. This way you your paying sales person on only what they produce. Your not losing anything. As long as your product/service is good you shouldn't have a problem finding a sales person that is up to the challange. (You would be suprised how many sales people work this way)
      Before starting my own business I was a sales person that made 15% commission off everything I sold. The sales person and the company make a lot of money this way.

Joe
      I agree this should work as long as this is what the competition is doing if not you need to re-look at your compensation package, you may have to pay part of the comp on a salary basis

Comment

Marketing is more than just selling and advertising. It's about what you need to do to capture and keep your customers over time. =======================================
        jessica
        GOOD PLACE TO GET ALL PRODUCT DETAILS...
        shop4free

Comment

If you have to choose between a sales rep and marketing your product, go with the sales rep until you generate enough money to market your product. However, there are alternate marketing strategies that are free (only costs your time). Create a company blog or join forums that targets your products industry.
          www.quotewerks.com

Comment

Salisbury, your original post was more than 10 months ago. What has transpired since then?

Paul
            Last edited by Paul Elliott; 08-06-2008, 04:52 PM.
            2 Free e-Courses-->
            1) The 88 Marketing Tips That Will Change Your Life!;
            2) 7 Ways To Stimulate Word-Of-Mouth Advertising
            --> at -- http://www.marketingsuccessblueprint.com/blog/
            Marketing Consulting and Coaching with Unbelievable Guarantees!

Comment

Thanks for your interest, we ended up getting one salesperson, then hired another after 3 months, primarily paying commission and it improved our revenue over 30%!

Comment

Originally posted by salisbury View Post
                Thanks for your interest, we ended up getting one salesperson, then hired another after 3 months, primarily paying commission and it improved our revenue over 30%!
                That's great!

Have you given any additional thought to your marketing structure and program?

Keep up your excellent work!

Paul
                2 Free e-Courses-->
                1) The 88 Marketing Tips That Will Change Your Life!;
                2) 7 Ways To Stimulate Word-Of-Mouth Advertising
                --> at -- http://www.marketingsuccessblueprint.com/blog/
                Marketing Consulting and Coaching with Unbelievable Guarantees!

Comment

Hi,
                  This website is tells about marketing and sales .If you appoint a good skilled person as a marketing representative then you can get good response.Otherwise you maintain good quality and at reasonable prices you can earn more profit in a few days.This is my opinion.
                  ======================================
                  Joel

google

Comment

Just my .02:

In addition to the great comments here, keep this in mind....every person in the firm is in "sales and marketing" from the person who answers the phone, to the person setting up the schedule or confirming appointments!

They set the tone and the image of what to expect, also each one of them can collect e-mail addresses to send out a video newsletter you create because the more you can connect with clients and prospects the more you can educate them on your services and sell.

Imagine the entire email list getting a video email announcing a free teleconference the company is doing the following week on a hot topic of interest that you know they would like to learn about....no selling, just educating!
                    You can go far with this mind-set!
                    Mike Saunders
                    www.MarketingHuddle.com

P.S. Grab a free training video for using LinkedIn at my marketing blog!

Comment

Originally posted by salisbury View Post
                      We are a small technology company and we are considering hiring a sales rep rather than having the two founders of the company doing the work. The problem that we are having is whether or not to take those dollars and invest them into marketing versus a sales person - any thoughts? Have you had similar situations?
                      I am sorry but this is a terrible idea.

The answer to your question is one of the most critical you will make in your attempt to achieve your goals for your business.

See hiring a rep is not enough, you must hire a great one. Do not skimp on this and if you can not afford to pay someone a salary and commission, then you will not find a star. The other side of the coin is that if you find a great sales person, you have to feed them viable leads. Yes, they will find some on their own, but you must help them with marketing and process.

Lead generation, lead cultivation, lead scoring, this is all critical to ensure that your rep ends up with prospects that become opportunities.

Feel free to check out my blog for more....and good luck!
                      Sales Training
                      startup sales forum
                      Sales Evangelist TV

Comment

In my MBA in Marketing I learned that you need multiple distribution channels for success.

I'll throw in that you should install some easy automated marketing systems that create leads and follow up on those leads until they become clients. When these tools are working FOR you, then you can feel confident that you have a system in place.

Then establish Strategic Alliances with salespeople who target your ideal customer and set up a commission structure with them for introducing your product to their sphere.

I'd be happy to chat with you, and am an authorized Marketing Expert on Live Person. You can go to my blog at www.MarketingHuddle.com and click on the Live Person graphic that says "Consult with me online"

Hope this helps!
                        Mike Saunders
                        Certified Marketing Advisor
                        Mike Saunders
                        www.MarketingHuddle.com

P.S. Grab a free training video for using LinkedIn at my marketing blog!

Comment

Marketing is an integrated communications-based process through which individuals and communities discover that existing and newly-identified needs and wants may be satisfied by the products and services of others. Marketing is defined by the American Marketing Association as the activity, set of institutions, and processes for creating, communicating, delivering, and exchanging offerings that have value for customers, clients, partners, and society at large. The term developed from the original meaning which referred literally to going to market, as in shopping, or going to a market to buy or sell goods or services.
                          vegetarian books
                          wheelchair lift

Comment

Working...
                          X